As I pulled into the parking lot of Guerilla Fitness in Montclair, New Jersey this past Saturday morning, I was tired, wired, and more than a little bit anxious. Seemed just about right--I was forty minutes away from diving into my Crossfit Level One Certification, and as badly as I'd been wanting my Cert for what seemed like forever, the prospect of getting my Crossfit on under the watchful eyes of trainers and strangers alike was fairly daunting. I'm a private person, you see...
Fast forward to Sunday evening and the drive back to Massachusetts: windows open, big smile, feeling like going to the Cert was the best decision I'd made since asking my wife to marry me. So what went down in between? Got a few days to listen?
Literally...got a few days? I'll be using the For You section over the next few entries to detail certain aspects of the Certification Weekend as we look forward to the first Woodshed Fitness Weekend Workout this Sunday at 9 AM. For now I'll leave you with my WoDs over the last three-day on cycle (today's a rest day), and with the thought that my greatest takeaway from this last weekend was the pure, unabridged joy available to the fitness enthusiast--and that kind of joy's all too rare of a commodity these days.
Saturday WoD: "Fran"
21-15-9 reps
95 lb thruster
pullups
results: 5:59, 29 seconds off PR but felt pretty good about the pace coming off some time away from brutally short power blasters like Fran, the magna mater of the genre
Sunday WoD: "7 and 7"
AMRAP (As Many Rounds As Possible) 12 minutes:
7 medicine ball cleans, 20 lb ball
7 pushups
results: 14 rounds--wanted 15 and likely could have pushed the pushups a little harder to get there but whoo boy were my legs cooked by this point in time
Monday WoD: 1 Mile Run
results: 8:24 pace--a lot better than my last go at a mile but still a good minute slower than I'd like.
For You: right out of the gate, we dove into Crossfit's definition of fitness. From Greg Glassman's seminal piece What Is Fitness?, check out the 10 General Physical Skills on Page 4.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment