Thursday, January 29, 2009

Scoreboard

Fans of losing teams who are fool enough to heckle their opponents are optimally met with this astringent, one word riposte:

"Scoreboard." As in, check out the scoreboard, doofus.

Similarly, there's a reason that Crossfit gyms the land over dot their mirrors and whiteboards with the day's WOD and its tally. Scoreboard. It's right there in your face--the day's work and, in due time, your results.

And if we're wired to hit things a little harder when we know the results are going up in lights, I'd say it's equally true we're wired to hit things exactly as prescribed when we've got our marching orders staring us head on...in writing, preferably in permanent marker.

To that end, I wussed out on this morning's shed workout. I'd gone out there after a quick ice detail in the driveway, intending to do yesterday's CFB breathing ladder: 1-20-1 dumbbell thrusters--albeit alternating arms between one 40 lb dumbbell and one 5 lb. I hit my clean warmup more or less as rx'd, though somewhat haphasardly, but didn't sustain the intensity requisite to completing the breathing ladder. At the round of 10 thrusters, my mind did that killing rational calculus designed to get the body out of dodge asap.

'A 1-10-1 breathing ladder's hard enough, your warmup went longer than usual, it's really cold out here and hell, you haven't eaten in 18 hours.' Wham...that was that and I went at the reduced, easier workout to completion. Lesson learned: scoreboard.

Maybe I still would have caved had I been staring down the WOD in writing, maybe not, but writing it out beforehand and tacking it to the wall would have given me more of a puncher's chance. Lesson learned: scoreboard.

Sleep: 7-7.5 hrs
WOD: clean warmup (clean pull, clean pull, clean w/PVC pipe--3x10), db thruster breathing ladder 1-10-1 (40 lb db one arm, 5 lb db other arm--alternate arms set to set), 3x15 sec hanging leg raises (skill: core strength and stability)
Food: 17x zone (yay almond butter!)

No comments:

Post a Comment